2017: Growing From My Limits
To clear some confusion, my previous Instagram posts were a reflection from this year. I am not where I was nine or eleven months ago. I’ve changed in so many ways- good ways. I’ve gained so much strength and confidence. I’m grounded with my values and I know my worth. I love myself and respect myself. And I’m gradually becoming the woman I aspire to be.
Twenty seventeen was a year where my limits were tested and I grew so much as a person because of it. Here is a list of the ten ways on how I did so:
1. I’ve come to be stood fast to what my boundaries are. What is acceptable and what is not. If people don’t respect what your boundaries are, then clearly, they don’t respect you. Remember, how people treat you is a reflection of who they are and not you. And if you truly respect yourself, be dignified in everything that you do or how you allow people to treat you.
2. I understood that I may not get what I want but I will always get what I need. I learnt to limit my desires or else you will never become content. You will then always want more and more. Nonetheless, no matter how much you want something, if it is meant for you, absolutely nothing in this world can stop it.
3. I learnt to be patient. With patience, time heals or it can unravel everything. I know that it’s difficult because most of us want everything to happen as soon as possible or even instantly. But good things do take time. Be easy on yourself. Because you will get that chance or opportunity. You will reach your goal or live your dream. And you will see other people or your own true colours.
4. I put all of my trust in God. If you respect your time, it is good for you, you are patient and you are making your best effort, it will happen. And if you have a faith, even if you think that you don’t have that much within you, pray that it comes easy for you and ask people to pray for you too. Never underestimate God’s mercy, if it matters to you, it matters to Him.
5. I learnt the importance of your energy. You give it off to the universe and sometimes people can absorb it too. If there was a word to describe 2017, it would be draining. Emotionally. Mentally. And physically. Thus, it is so important to have good energy by taking care of yourself and by being in alignment. Be your greatest self. Know your values. Know when to slow down. Know where to invest your energy. Know that everything will fall into place at perfect timing.
6. I realised, that no one can really empower you except for yourself. You need to give your own validation and self-worth. Don’t seek this from other people or material things. Love yourself purely and entirely. Have gratitude for all the big and small things in your life. And watch yourself grow into a person so resilient, that even a storm cannot bend or break you.
7. Always put things into perspectives. Sometimes as human beings, we can’t help but be confused or maybe even stuck to what we think we want or on how we view things. Allow others that love you to guide you, as they only want the best for you. But at the end of the day, it is really up to you. That’s why loving yourself and knowing your worth is so important. Only then will you realise what you really need and to never settle for anything less.
8. I forgave.
9. I let go.
10. I moved on.
Although I still can’t believe that 2017 is drawing to an end, watching myself grow as a person this year must be one of the most profound things for me to see. All in all, all I can say is ALHAMDULILAH and I pray for more growth and that God makes me want what He wants.